Friday, February 13, 2009

Puff the Magic Dragon!

The Apple Farmer took his "Dragon" out for a little walk yesterday to see what he could do.

S'mores Anyone?







When he finished, we had some great coals for cooking some dinner!





This might look like a new technique in doggy skin care...






...But its not!




I am thickening the plot for an event, which I like to call "A Missouri Moment." The Missouri Moment is defined as a brief or extended period of time where a series of crazy, never before witnessed set of events unfold before my very eyes which fills my being with a combination of wonder and terror. This event includes the time Human Resources stepped on what he thought was an ant hill and five minutes later realized, after he started scratching his legs, that he had stepped in a recently hatched pile of hungry ticks, which wasted no time crawling up all over his legs and began preparing for their first feast. Hundreds of them! Or, the time that we were picking wild raspberries and Taffy woke up a skunk and sent it running through the bushes out into the open where we were - PEEEEYOOOy! And the tent caterpillars which fell from the walnut tree... And the time our house got hit by lightening and the time when the power went out at the house on the north side of the property and and while we were waiting for the power guys to come and find the problem we discovered it ourselves... A young coon had climbed up the power pole and played with some of the wires and connections... I think I have a picture of this one....



Here it is! Can you see the poor critter hanging between the cylinder looking electrical part and the post? You can bet that this is the last time he will play with electricity! I digress! I could go on and on with the Missouri Moments. But before we find out what Taffy is doing I have to describe my latest Missouri Moment! As I was helping the Apple Farmer throw apple prunings into the fire, I ran my pitch fork along the ground and as I lifted up, I found that I had shish-kabobbed an ugly little rodent critter called a Vole - Right through the chest. I was horrified to see that I had actually caught something on my fork other than a bunch of prunings. I was even more horrified to watch it scream at me and then die! So, what is it that Taffy is doing? She is digging up Voles and eating them! Her first catch was two! She ate one and left the other sitting on the ground watching me.





1 comment:

christianne said...

Animated movies did us a great disservice by teaching us that some rodents are cute, darling, sing, dance and do your dishes while others are evil and not to be trusted. I would move from my list of darling dish-doers to the evil not to be trusted list raccoons and squirrels.