Monday, February 16, 2009

Kitchen Chemistry

This post is especially for Kyle and Carli! First, I will apologize for procrastinating the develpment of these pictures! It was a bit more involved since I bought a developer that I had never used before and was unsure of the effects it would have on our already seriously underexposed film! So without further adew, this post is for you ;)

First thing was to research the developer. In the case of the HC 110, it appears that many suspect that kodak used the wrong dilution for one of their recommended development time. Unlucky for me. More research is necessary to find a general consensus for a starting point. After a couple of hours studying several development charts and a couple of good forums, I have found a starting point which two users are pretty close on. All of the other recommendations seem to be all over the board. I don't want to try this time and technique out on Kyle and Carli's film so we will try it out on a couple of rolls I shot of Her Royal Highness.




Chemicals all at 75 degrees and ready to go - I can't waste much time because our kitchen is pretty chilly this afternoon and I don't want the temperatures of my chemistry to drop!


I hope no one was planning on sitting down for lunch anytime soon!




Once one roll is completed, I find that the negatives look properly developed. I will test the same time and methods on a second roll to make sure that I get the same results. Here's what I got!








These lighting conditions were pretty similar to the lighting conditions we had when we were at Empire Mine in Grass Valley, CA - so I am feeling pretty confident that we should see similar results. The whites have texture in them and the darks have detail in them. Here goes nothing!

Here, two of the four rolls of film are getting their final rinse!

If you look closely at the negative you can see Kyle's mug shot ;)


Here are couple of the images we got (please ignore the dust spots in the pictures - I haven't had a chance to dust spot. Don't worry - the dust does come off of the negatives and when you have them printed your pictures will be perfect:














3 comments:

Stephanie said...

What do you NOT know how to do?

Tanya said...

I don't know how to fold the laundry the same day it was washed and dried... :)

Jenn said...

Tanya I love the photos, you just get better and better! Wish we were closer so you could get some good family photos for us! I am with you on the laundry thing too!