Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dirty Hands - Happy Heart!

Here is how one thing can lead to another and here is how my sunny days melted away into chilly nights!
I'm preparing my soil for a cottage style garden - a garden that is a mix of flowers and yummies. Except my really handy Mantis didn't work and I had to do it all by hand!

Here is how a small project turned mammoth!

I wanted a little brick 'niche' right next to the sidewalk. This little 'niche' would be the perfect size for a table to sit two people - me and the Apple Farmer! Wouldn't that be sweet? The rest of the grass in this area would be turned and garden would be planted in it. Only problem was, I hit something hard when I started removing sod! I unearthed an old path which likely leads to the site where once stood an outhouse - a necessary edifice in the early days of our 130 year old farm house! So my little 'niche' got bumped out into the middle of my flower bed. I didn't finish un-earthing the path, or I'm sure I'd still be digging today!


Here is why I go to bed after I take Advil!
But I'm sure these onions are going to be so yummy this summer in salads and sandwiches!


Here is why my muscles hurt - not because I run - but because I plant asparagus!
My chickens like it when I dig up the dirt! They scratch and scratch! They also scratched up all the onions we planted in the above bed! The onions have officially been planted twice - that is why they will taste extra good this summer!

So now you know why my hands are dirty and my heart is happy!

Time to weed the strawberry patch! Can you see how much fun that will be? Grrr! But I'm sure I will be really happy when it looks like the north end of the asparagus bed - all cleaned up and ready to go!!




2 comments:

Maria Babin said...

i love the path! there is something romantic about it! you need to plant flowers and grass around them!

Stephanie said...

K, so I would have been a little freaked out and then intrigued finding someone else's path. It adds a little more to your home's story - fun. Seeing all the work you've done makes me feel ultra guilty for not pruning my roses or weeding my PUNY (compared to yours) strawberry patch. I've been ignoring our yard, hoping it would just go away, but no luck. I'm gunna' get out there later this week when it warms up again - promise! I won't be taking or sharing any pictures, though - not as interesting as your place. I love to see where you live - every day is beautiful adventure.