Tuesday, June 8, 2010

So Many Cherries, So Little Time!

My sour cherry trees produced well, and of course, since the strawberries were two weeks early, the pie cherries came during girls camp!!

The boys all pick and froze a few bags, so when I made it home it was time to get serious with them!  Since I still have jars of cherries for pies and crisps, I decided to take the sour cherry jam route!  I LOVE sour cherry jam.  I LOVE to eat it on ice cream and waffles!  So I made a bunch.  And I didn't put it in the pretty jelly jars that I have.  I chose to put them in quarts, or else we'd be pulling out a jar of jam a day!  And that sure gets old fast.


I used my steam canner instead of a hot bath.  It is more manageable on a cook top because you boil a much smaller amount of water, and steam is hotter than boiling water which equals shorter processing time!  Thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law for such a perfect birthday gift last year!!!

No comments: