Thursday, June 10, 2010

Grandfather Leo Howard Oswald

I'm in the final stages of designing a photo book of my Grandfather's WWII photos.  I am so in love with this book!!  When my Grandfather took these photographs and wrote their significance on the photo backs before sending them home, I don't think he ever imagined that he would, in the year 2010, have written his own book!  This photo book is penned in his own hand.



There was minimal photo editing involved.  I didn't want to do any restoration.  The distress of the photos helps to tell Grandfather's story of long ago!  Unfortunately, the deckle edges of most of the photographs had to be cropped out.  I tried to work with them, but no matter what I tried, the bed of the scanner was impossible to minimize against the black background.  The handwriting on the back of the photographs required quite a bit of editing.  Magic eraser made it a breeze, but still, it was necessary to enlarge to the point of pixels in order to remove as much of the photo paper as possible to allow the handwriting to overlay the photographs and black background and still maintain legibility.  There is no added text, other than the text that my Grandfather wrote on the back of his photographs.

The title of the book came into being while I was working with a spread of two photographs of my Grandfather.  On the backs of these photographs he wrote  "Just me." and signed his name "Curlie."  On the back of the second, he wrote "Just me again." and signed his name "Howard."  As I tried to imagine how he must have felt while entitling the photos, in the middle of a war so far away from family and his "honey," with all of his thoughts towards home, I was struck by his modest proclamation of "Just me."  I imagined the excitement of loved ones getting his letters with the photographs and how they must have been shown to everyone back home!  And I began to imagine all of his posterity today who will soon be able to own his book, and how excited we will be, and how we will likely show these photos to everyone who will care to see!!  So my Grandfather's modest "Just Me" is what it is to be entitled, as this is just his story!

As I've gone through these photographs, I feel like I know my Grandfather a little bit more!  I'm especially in awe and grateful to him for his sacrifice in serving our country. 

4 comments:

Aunt Leota said...

Dear Tanya:

Thanks for all the work you have done on Dad's WWII pictures. I like the Title you have chosen. It fits his personality. I'm sure that this book will become a Family heirloom and cherished by the whole family and people that knew him and still hold his memory close to their hearts.
Thanks again, Aunt Leota

Maria Babin said...

Tanya, what book publishing company are you going with? I'd love to have a peek at your book! Did you see mine? I did a blog entry with a widget of the entire book where you can actually flip through the pages in my blog! P.S. I loved your post about girls' camp. It brought back fun memories from when we were young women! I mean we still are young women, but our girls' camp days!

Tanya said...

Thanks Aunt Leota! I'm so glad you had a chance to see! And that you feel the title fits his personality makes me even more thrilled about how it all fell into place! And thank you so much for your help.

Maria!! We had so much fun at camp as girls! Where was my camera back in those days? I don't have a single picture! The company that I use to print my photo books is Shared Ink. I have a professional photographer's account there and all of my books are designed through PSE and uploaded as Jpegs (I don't do lots of photo editing because I'm a 'filmie' so photo shop elements is perfect for what I do). I'll have to check and see if there is any way to make my photo books viewable by public... ;) And I did see your photo book! I love the 'slurp' concept... lots quicker than what I do!!

Anonymous said...

I saw your book for the first time today while visiting with my mother. I remember playing catch with Uncle Howard when I was ten years old. He was very kind and I appreciated the time he spent with me. As a child, I was told that he was very good at boxing and playing softball. I grew up playing sports and was proud of the fact that I had an uncle who was an excellent athlete.

Thank you for creating the book! I learned more today about Uncle Howard than I had ever known before.

Lowell K. Oswald