Saturday, February 6, 2010

This is a lonely soldier looking across the ocean..


... that separates him from home...

Leo Howard Oswald. My Grandfather, and so significant in the hearts of all those who also belong to him such as Mother, Father, Wife, Brothers, Sisters, Sons, Daughters, Grand Children and Great Grand Children.

I never had the opportunity to know my grandfather while in mortality. I was born on March 20th, 1972, and he died on March 20th, 1970. Mom says that he loved his children dearly and looked forward to his own grand children.


Mom is working on a wonderful project! She has asked me to help with the formatting and design of a keepsake book about my Grandfather Leo for our Oswald family! She has spent an enormous amount of time scanning WWII photographs that Leo took and collected during his service to his country.
I've had a chance to play a little bit this evening with some of the photos and have come up with two pages. These are trials since I am using an uncalibrated screen. I'll upload these to the company that I use to create my photography related keepsake books and and request prints so I can calibrate my screen and then I'll go from there!
The handwritten notes are scanned from the back of his photographs and have been used as overlays. I'm so excited to see how this book evolves! It's incredible to see these photographs and especially to see notes written to home in his own hand!

2 comments:

Dean said...

Tonya, I'm very impressed and honored that you are taking the time to create this book. It looks wonderful.

Dean

Tanya said...

Hi Uncle Dean! And thanks! But I can't take all of the credit. This is Mom's project and she did the hardest part - she scanned over 200 images!