Thursday, July 23, 2009

Build a Critter Workshop

So, today, we SERIOUSLY needed to break out of our usual routines of chaos and we opted for a rather unusual activity.
First, a disclaimer in behalf of the crew: "We aren't a bunch of sissy boys that snuggle with softies at bedtime."
Here are the kid rules:
Clean your bedroom.
Draw a critter and have fun drawing your critter.
NO critters from video games or TV/Movies this must ultimately be your creation.
Go easy on details.
Here are the Mom rules:
No pink.
Let the kids choose the colors even though you think you have better taste than they do.
Don't grumble when trying to turn the itty bitty chicken toes right side out.
These guys had so much fun seeing their designs go from paper to all dimensional!


From Left to Right: Duck, Chicken and Sabertooth Tiger
Here is a closer shot of the President's Hand Chicken. It was cracking me up the whole time I was working on it (except for those little pointy toes that are hiding in the grass)! She and the duck are done up in a stash of vintage fabrics that I've thrifted around the area here. Of course, nothing in this house is drama free now that her Royal Highness has been keeping up with all of the excitement. She kept on stealing the President's Chicken and squealing as she ran into her bedroom with it. (She has a mouthful of Candy)!
She didn't design her own critter, but I made a few of my own for her when Christine came to visit for the 4th of July! We made a few of these fun dollies together and stayed up until 1:00 am stitching details by hand and watching Jane Eyre (SO well done by masterpiece theatre).


Here is the Dolly that started it all. She is my prototype for a gift that I wanted to make for my brother Doug's little girl, Emmaliegh, on her first birthday. Her name is Lucy and she has been LOVED!

7 comments:

christianne said...

I think that is one of the best gifts to give to children, letting them create and if you can make it 3d that's even better!!! Thumbs up to mom! Two thumbs for the clean room gang!!! YEHAW

Stephanie said...

Those are adorable! You are one creative and talented Mama.

Anonymous said...

Tanya, you are so talented. The dolls are adorable. I love your fabrics. You should sell on etsy.com! I'd be your biggest fan!

Jenn said...

Loving all of them! Can't believe you have time to do all of that!

Maria Babin said...

tanya!! you are so talented. how do you do it? i bet you could make a fortune selling those. i'd like to order a few from you!

Tanya said...

You all are soo sweet! But I'm not even sure if it is worth the hassle to try and set up a shop to sell! Then I would have to figure out how much to sell them for, and do you all have any idea how much sleep I would loose over that?!?

Tanya said...

...But the hand chicken is still making me laugh!