Saturday, February 27, 2010

Newest Farm Life!

This is the newest of living things around the farm! Meet my sourdough starter! I've started sourdough starts several times and their simple but useful lives were quite short lived. Last apple season, my hired house help and dear friend Emma and I tried a couple of starts together. I printed off a copy of instructions for both Emma and me from Sourdough Home, a wonderful site in general on the science of breads and yeasts. Once again we both met failure. After apple season, however, Emma tried the instructions again and had success, and just yesterday she gave me some of her lovely starter and a piece of sourdough bread to go with it! Wonderful bread made solely with a sourdough start (no added yeast)!
So now I'm gonna love it, and feed it and keep it nice and warm! And pretty soon, I'm gonna make some bread with it!!

No comments: