Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Taste of India

Yummm! I love Indian Curry. This is a recipe that we enjoy with basmati rice (and if we don't have basmati when the craving strikes, jasmine or plain jane regular rice works just as well), naan and a cucumber salad. These recipes I got from my sister-in-law who had her own modifications. We have added ours, so I will list what the recipe originally says and then explain how I modify. The recipe is very flexible so you can add your own twists according to your own tastes and still come up with something delicious!

Indian Curry
Vegetables: The vegetables that you plan to put into your curry need to be steamed, stir-fried or cooked to your desired doneness. You will add these to your curry sauce and let them simmer toward the end of this process for just a bit. If you are adding peas, wait until the very last minute to put them in. I feel like they are better if they haven't been cooked for very long. Usually I use whatever vegies I have on hand and what sounds good. Typically, I don't use cauliflower or mushrooms, but the curry is ruined for the Apple Farmer if the potatoes are missing. Please note that amounts are not listed. My recipe only suggests a quantity for the carrot, which is one, and the potato, which is one. I usually put in more potatoes than that. Bottom line is you can add what and however much you like to your recipe.

sliced carrot
potato, chopped
mushrooms, sliced
green beans
peas
cauliflower

Sweet add-ins:
If you want to add these to your curry, they will go in at the same time you put your vegies into the curry. I think I've added the pineapple once, but have never put in the raisins. I imagine that the white raisins are really good in here.

Pineapple
Raisins

Meat:
I've made this curry meatless before. It was one of those times that I was sure I had a boneless, skinless chicken breasticle in my freezer and I didn't. Still turned out yummy. Maybe I added some lentils in its place (lentils and your basmati rice make a complete protien)? Can't remember, but even lentils would be yummy! Again, no quantity specified, I use two breasticles, but I have used only one in the past and my curry has been very full of goodness.

Chicken, chopped and stir-fried


Now for the Curry!
1 onion, chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can chopped tomatoes with hot peppers (rotel or similar)
1 TA fresh ginger, grated
1 TA fresh garlic, minced
1 TA cashew nuts, ground (I've never used this, I just top with chopped cashews when serving)
1 TA Garam Masala (spice section)
1 TA Cumin
1 TA poppy seeds (I've used rarely, doesn't make a huge difference in flavor so why bother buying it?)
1 TA Curry powder (I used madras curry powder)
Couple TA sugar (to taste-takes out a bit of the acid)
1 tsp salt
2 TA canola oil (recipe just lists butter, but this is my preference)
1 cup of heavy cream

Saute onion in oil until soft. Add cans of tomatoes and spices. Taste and see if you need to add more of something else. My SIL always adds more! Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to allow flavors and spices to soften and blend.

Now you have a couple of choices at this point. You can puree your simmering sauce with a stick blender or a regular blender to make it smooth or you can keep it chunky if you prefer. I prefer to blend it.

Bring your sauce back to a simmer and add all of your veggies, sweet add-ins and meat. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
Just before serving, turn off the heat and stir in your cream.

Serve on rice and pass around a dish of coursely chopped cashews to sprinkle on top!


Naan
I've not had loads of experience with Naan. I discovered the wonderfulness of Indian food shortly before we moved out here. Since it takes us almost 2 hours to get to the city, Indian food isn't something that we go out for. So you can imagine how happy I am to have such a yummy recipe to make at home when I get the hankering for it!! Back to Naan. I use a recipe that I got from my sister-in-law. It is pretty low fat and cooked a lot like a tortilla with no oil. I've done some internet researching and have found many different variations that are somewhat different from this. Therefore, authenticity I can't vouch for, but it is what my family loves and so this is what we do!!

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup yogurt
3 TA melted butter
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix these ingredients with a mixer or in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.

Stir in

3 cups of flour (I used to make this with white flour, but love the nutty flavor of the wheat flour)

Cover with plastic wrap and let set for three hours. (I've never let it rest for the full three hours, in fact, I usually mix it up just before I get my curry, rice and salad made and after I've made them, then I start cooking the naan).

To Cook:
Pinch off a piece of dough about the size of a ping pong ball - golf ball size is probably too big! Roll out on a floured surface (I'm generous with flour - probably because I like to make messes when I cook!) Roll it out as thin as you can get it. I can never get a nice circle, they are usually pretty catty-wampus in shape! Heat up a pan over medium heat (you'll need to adust as needed. Usually I use two little pans so I have two burners going at the same time - gets them done more quickly). Throw your rolled out ball of dough into the pan - no non-stick and no oil - just a bare naked and very hot pan. Turn when the first side has some dark spots on it and repeat the cooking process on the second side. Put on a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm. My family likes butter on their bread, so after I pull the naan off the pan I will quickly butter it while it's still really hot.




Cucumber Salad

Again, this recipe doesn't have specific measurements but hopefully I can explain it well enough that you can make it and love it too!

Chop up a bunch of tomatoes and cucumbers. I especially love this salad when we are getting the cukes and maters from the garden! Two big maters and 1 or 2 cukes will do. Put these in your salad bowl. You might also enjoy a shredded carrot in the mix. The recipe didn't call for it, but I think its pretty. Slice 2 green onions and chop up around 3 or 4 tablespoons of fresh cilantro ( you might like more... is there really such thing as too much cilantro?)

To dress this salad, you need some good plain yogurt. Make sure its a really good quality yogurt - there is a difference! I would start with about 1/2 a cup. Stir that into your salad, along with about 1 tsp on cumin, 1 tsp sugar and maybe about 1/2 tsp salt (to taste). If it looks like you need a little more yogurt, add more. This is another really flexible recipe. You will have enough yogurt when your veggies look nicely coated. You might be on the heavy side if you are having a hard time seeing what color your veggies are! Now taste your salad. Do you need a little more cumin or salt? Add more of whatever you want. I might add a little bit of pepper or some ground red pepper flakes...
And because every good post deserves a good picture...
A much younger President, eating a sweet watermelon. In fact, slice some melon slices for dessert! This dish deserves some fresh sweet melons as a grand finale!


2 comments:

christianne said...

One of Richard's specialties is Curry Rich!

Tanya said...

Mmmm! What does he put in his?