Friday, September 18, 2009

First Newspaper Ads of the Season

Its time to get serious about selling apples! So this morning I'm working on my ads for the paper. I have a 12:00 deadline and I've just submitted my ad for review!

To rally up the apple crew was not exactly an easy task. First, I told them what they had to wear. Of course there was much negotiating on the part of the Attorney on why a plain white T-shirt just won't work. However, I took courage and told him it was the way it was going to have to be! He may start faxing out his resume to other corporations, however, I think it won't take long for him to realize that no other employer will offer a sweet benefit package like ours! Free living expenses, Free meals, Free education, and an abundance of Free time! Second, they were required to smile on demand, as if they were truly happy. I'm sure that the crew will file a complaint with their union reps for having to complete tasks that aren't listed in their job descriptions. I can deal with that, since I think I got what I wanted, and I got it with in a realistic amount of time!

After getting the crew ready for the photo shoot I realized that I was short of fall harvest paraphernalia. After a quick jaunt to the neighbors in the golf cart, not only did I manage to come back home with some fabulous ears of indian corn, but I made it just in time to go home with a handful of half-moon pies. Zook's have Sunday Church at their home on Sunday, which means that they have been cleaning every last little corner and window pane of their home. It also means cooking for a congregation. A big soup is on the menu, along with other homemade yummies like cookies, and half-moon pies. Fannie and her daughters Anna, Susan, Verna and daughter in law Ada, will all be baking today over their wood burning stove. The married daughters have brought a long their little broods and so Grandma and Grandpa's home will be full of the sound of sweet children!

The Apple Farmer sees the half-moon pies!



Photo shoot snipets!






Now, as I wait for a phone call from the paper, I need to clean up half-moon pie crumbs and try to figure out a way to get the Apple Farmer to fire me from the orchard so I can do whatever I want this weekend!

5 comments:

JDMMO said...

Your blog always makes my day!

Anonymous said...

The ad is adorable and those half moon pies look so good! Do you know how to make them?

Tanya said...

Thanks Jen! Your comments always make my day too!!!

Jaime - yes. Make your favorite pie crust (they usually use fat rendered from pig, cow or chicken so the crust is a bit more dense than if you were to use a vegetable based shortening). The filling is dehydrated apples that are simmered in water until they become like apple butter. Add sugar and spices. When you cut the circle for the pie, put the cute little cuts into them so they can vent and put a little water around the edges when you press them together. They don't know what temperature that they cook them at, but I would think somewhere around 375 maybe? And bake until the crust is perfect! Let me know if you try to make them!! I'd love to know how your attempt goes!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Tanya! I am going to try it, we have loads of apples right now too. I'll let you know.
hugs to all of you!

Tanya said...

Jaime! Make sure you take pictures and post on your blog! I want to read all about it!