Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Temple Run

I was talking to Jenae the other day about cub scout things when she asked me if I was planning on running in the Temple Run.  Huh? I asked.  So she told me all about it.  I told her I wasn't sure if I would be ready for the run.  During apple season I pulled a muscle in my calf (I thought it was an awful cramp and that I would be sore for several days but since the pain lasted closer to six weeks before it started to go away, I figured I pulled it) and I hadn't run since.  Besides, I am still packing five pounds of Christmas cheer and five pounds of harvest bounty. 

After I gave her my pathetic excuses, she told me that she would walk with me if I wanted to go.  Awwww!  She is such a sweetheart!  I know full well she can run it under 30 minutes and I'm not going to be responsible for holding her back.  If this isn't her first 5K (I know she was hoping to run in a couple last year), then it is still some of her firsts and I don't want to spoil that.  Hence, the dust was removed from the treadmill, the mp3 player charged up and the running shoes warmed up.


Photo is taken from http://kcldstemple.blogspot.com/


The Temple Run is slated for April 30th.  So I searched and printed of a workout plan for Couch 2 5k in six weeks (instead of the original nine!) and got to work.  That didn't last long.  After the initial soreness dissipated, I bagged the plan and ran to see if I could make it a mile without stopping.  Amazingly, yes, I could.  After that mile I ran sprints and walked in between to recover.  Today I did the same, but managed another 1/2 mile after some sprints (compliments of a rambunctious song my boys talked me into downloading - Crazy Frog Axel F).  Tired!  Sore - yes, still in places.  For the most part, surprised!  I guess I imagined starting over would be going back to the beginning of my running endeavors!  And I certainly deserve that!  I would have to say that I'm relieved that this run is a little more within my reach than I realized and I'm excited about that!  I still have a lot of hard work ahead of me!


1 comment:

christianne said...

If you do the Temple Run, put an extra step in for me!