Friday, March 18, 2011

Bushy Bushy Blonde Hair-do

Choosing music to run to has been a lot harder than I imagined!  Is it because I'm getting older?  Or am I just a lot more cranky when I run than I used to be forever ago, and it takes a real special kind of song to take my mind off of being cranky?  As far as types of music go, I think I could be considered somewhat eclectic, the nice way of saying wierd, in my music choices.  I am finding, however, that some well loved songs really make me aware of and impatient with my murmmering muscles, or maybe the music isn't crazy enough to drown out my jiggly Christmas Cheer singing Joy to the World as a plod along on my very merry way?  As I ran, I tried to figure out the rhyme and reason behind what music worked, and what didn't.  Some of what kept me pumped up and moving was pretty obvious why, but others that kept me going were suprising and started my wheels churning on what it was that kept me going!  Whatever magic was in some of that music, it took me from yesterdays 1.5 mile run to todays forty minute 3 mile run.  It was a good run!  It was a very slow run, but, I did happen beat my shadow today - just barely!

Still, ABBA just doesn't cut it for me, and I love some of their music.  What has worked is Crazy Frog's Axel F, compliments of my children who pressured me into that one.  Speaking of pressure, Queen's Under Pressure RAH Mix really gets me moving too!  Cheryl Crowe's Real Gone song is another fabulous one!  MC Hammer Can't Touch This!  That one takes me down memory lane in a powder blue VW Bug with Carrie.  We were in high school, in the land of perpetual summer (I can say that because I've survived six Missouri Winters and I really never knew what cold was until now)!  Here is a shocker, though.  Toad the Wet Sprocket, REM, and Hootie have been fired!  But the Beach Boys?  Both California Dreamin' and Surfin' USA! 


(San Diego, Tara and Me on Christmas Eve)

The only thing I can figure on those is that they appeal to a very distant place inside me, where the days were warm, the sand was even more warm, the air smelled of salty ocean water and coconut flavored suntan oil, and grapes never tasted better, or more sandy! 


Me, Lara, Carrie & Michelle - Santa Barbara


And the bushy, bushy blonde hair-do?  Well, I had a few of those too! 







Just love those days of big bangs!!


Where ever the power of those two songs come from, I may never figure out.  However, I figure if I have 12 'power' songs, I should have more than enough to get me through a 5K at my snails pace!  Any ideas are greatly appreciated!! :)

Wondering if I should go perm my short locks and go for the bushy hair-do again...

2 comments:

Christine said...

So funny! I'm kind of eclectic, too. I *LOVE* the Beach Boys, the Everly Brothers (courtesy of my dad) and a clean version of any of Pink's songs. Totally adore Pink. They make me want to run. Now, if I could find a babysitter to watch the youngest two while I "run" or at least my version of it.... This summer I will, for sure, when the kids are home from school. Good luck! (and I love the big bangs. I had some of those, too.)

christianne said...

Fun to see pics of you and Tara and say to myself "I remember those girls!" :~>