Tuesday, September 16, 2008

New Harvest Trends

Not only did we manage apple harvest yesterday, but we managed a bit of walnut harvest. We also got more than we bargained for! I like to call moments like these, Missouri Moments, because they are just so incredible.

Brother and Sister Miller came out and Brother Miller demonstrated how to harvest black walnuts. He shimmied right up the tree and started jumping around in the branches. Down came the nuts! If only apples could be harvested this easily! (Isn't he just amazing!?!)
And down came the tent caterpillars!
From a distance it looked like the Apple Farmer was holding up an intricate seed pod - there are a lot of intricate seed pods in Missouri, too. I turned around and wasn't paying much attention to what he was holding. He came up behind me and told me to check it out. I turned around and right in the front of my nose was this! If I was 10 years older than I am now, I would have had a heart attack that would have killed me. But instead, my heart tried to jump up my throat, along with my lunch. Being that I am quiet youthful at my advancing age and stage, I managed to control these faculties and keep all things where they were meant to stay.

4 comments:

christianne said...

ummm, yuck on the bugs.

Yes, Brother Miller is amazing!

Stephanie said...

Okay, so I thought the frog was nasty, but this wins the "all time nasty" prize.

Jenn said...

That is so gross!!! The apple farmer was brave to stick it in your face!

Christine said...

That is about the grossest thing I have seen in a really, REALLY long time. I think it'd be the couch for the hubby because he had it so close to your face. What kind of butterfly do they turn into?