Thursday, April 22, 2010



Don't my boys look so excited? They ought to be! They accompanied me to a ladies' social club this afternoon!
I'll bet you already see that there is a story behind this!
There is! Hopefully I am remembering it correctly! At one time, the county extentions had women's clubs that met monthly. They met and socialized and discussed mainly matters of the home and community. They shared ideas, how-tos and learned new things. Eventually, many years ago, the county extentions stopped this program. But one little club never stopped meeting! What a lovely group of ladies! And so it was a great honor to be invited to join them this afternoon! We were asked to tell about our orchard and our family. So the boys and I told our story!




It was so fun to listen to the minutes from the previous meeting and to hear a thank-you letter read for the service they provided making bibs for hospitalized patients.



It was fun to hear the ladies talk about how their Hostas had just poked up out of the ground - they went on a field trip to a greenhouse that specializes in Hostas and each planted several last year. It was so exciting to learn that Marcella had just had her 90th birthday and had received 123 birthday cards!! And out of the 123, there were only 2 duplicates - they were lovely butterfly cards!



It was great to find out I was not the only one who caved and planted corn and beans! They all told me that I would need to watch for a cold snap around May 6th, but that if the frost got my beans I could always replant! One lady, I think she was a Mrs. Brown, always grows sweet potatoes in her garden.
We played Bingo! I won a geranium plant!!

And we all sang happy birthday to Marcella and enjoyed eating the beautiful birthday cake! And as a thankyou gift, they presented me with a beautiful geranium covered in pink blossoms!!
It was a wonderful afternoon. The boys came home bragging about three compliments they were paid for their good behavior, which means I owe them each suprises multiplied by three... I wish people would stop paying them compliments!! Its getting pretty expensive at our house to have well behaved children!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A ladies social club is such a good idea. I'm inspired to start one some day. I imagine it's a great support for women in rural communities (such as mine:). I'm so proud of how handsome my cousins are! You must me one proud mama.
xoxo

christianne said...

These women's groups are one of my favorite things about living here. The women are precious. The one I was invited to is the Anitque Study Club. I really enjoy it.

christianne said...

Oh, by the way Tanya...ALL of your children were so well behaved the last time they came to my house (you should have never told me about "the bribe") hehe